Wednesday, April 10, 2013

Mom and Dad came to visit! And we went to Mindo

So as many of you know, my parents came to visit me last week and stayed for 12 days (I think). We had a really wonderful time, including lots of bird watching in Mindo, site seeing in Quito, repeated trips to Parque La Carolina because even when they are in a giant city my parents must find all the nature, hiking (VERY slowly) up the side of Cotopaxi, and generally having a marvelous time.

While we were in Mindo we stayed at the beautiful Casa Divina. Mindo is a small town in the cloud forest that has oodles of endemic species of birds (and probably plants, though they haven't yet been documented properly--we all know what Dad is doing for his retirement!) and is rain forest-esque in it's overall feel. One of my favorite parts was when we went to the Mariposario and saw not only butterflies but also hummingbirds by the dozen!
So it turns out hummingbirds are really difficult to photograph, but we managed to get a few good ones

I forget what this little guy was called. You'll have to ask Dad.
But of course, the hummingbirds were not the only interesting creatures at the Mariposario...
I was surprisingly terrified by our delicate winged friends. I practically screamed every time one of them came near me... It was not my proudest moment

Mom, however, felt right at home

And Dad was so relaxed that they came to perch while he wasn't looking.
But that was not all of the delights that Mindo had to offer. We went on a bird tour at 6 am (I know, you can congratulate Dad when you see him) and we saw so many cool things! Right off the bat we saw a giant quetzal, and then proceeded to see parrots, various tanagers, a masked something, and at the very end of the tour, a toucan! And those are just a few of the things we saw; Dad has the master list.

That new iphone camera is really holding its own!




After Mindo we headed back to the city for me to start work and Mom and Dad to explore. But that will be my next post because now I have to get ready for work!


2 comments:

  1. Awwww! I'm so glad you guys had such a great time. You are all wonderful! Thanks for posting Mo-mo.

    Love,

    Becky

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great story and photos! It was so much fun!!

    Your grandparents loved the posting and eagerly await more when you have time.

    --Mom

    ReplyDelete