Saturday, May 4, 2013

We've all moved in

Andres and I lived for 9 lovely months with his family at their house and were spoiled thoroughly by his mom, Magdalena. But despite all the wonderful advantages of living there, it came time to find our own place and try being Real Adults together.

Andres' brother, Roberto, was looking for a new place for his family and decided to buy the apartment in the upper half of his parents' house from them. That meant that he would be leaving his apartment, just a few blocks away, and it turned out the apartment would be perfect for Andres and I! It's a small, two bedroom apartment with a small living room/kitchen area and one bathroom. The big bedroom is for us and we've made the little bedroom into an office/guest room (you're all invited!). We had to buy all our appliances (in Ecuador, when they say unfurnished, they MEAN unfurnished) but we were able to find a good deal on a small oven/stovetop and refrigerator combo that also included a microwave and tiny grill! Andres' family was really generous and helped us out with the rest of the furniture, most of which was at the house and not being used. The worst part is that it is on the fifth floor and there is no elevator. The best part is the view, which, if you check out one of my earlier posts, you can see three Andean peaks from our bedroom window. Also, the light is wonderful because we have three big windows facing different directions, so we get lots of natural light (I have been collecting house plants, in true McCabe fashion).

So after a little bit of transition time, we were able to move in! We've been here for a little more than a month and we're starting to feel more settled. I have been cooking a lot (Andres does most of the cleaning) which has been a fun adventure. I've actually been really enjoying it and trying new recipes, mostly from pintrest http://pinterest.com/hikingboot/. I'm sure I'll blog more about my kitchen adventures in the future.

Overall, we've been having a lot of fun learning how to be Real Adults together, and I think that I feel a little more relaxed having my own space to be lazy in, or try cooking experiments in, or spend all day on my computer in. I'm very happy.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for keeping on posting. Sometimes I forget it's here, but I'm always happy when I remember and get to see what you've been up to. You're a good writer, by the way. Also, congrats on your new apartment, and also, I miss you.

    Love,

    Becky

    ReplyDelete